Summer beauty – that’s easy, right? Pull your hair up in a messy bun, smooth on some SPF, and you’re done!
Not quite. That kind of simple routine is great for the beach, but sadly most of us don’t spend our lives by the seaside, and instead we have to battle with sweaty cities, urban pollution and over air-conditioned offices.
During the summer your skin and hair have different needs than they do in the winter – and of course, just as you switch-up your wardrobe, your makeup look will need a rethink too.
Read on to discover everything you need to know about summer beauty.
- Ditch heavy cream moisturizers and cleansers and switch to lighter lotions and oils.
- Use sun protection at all times. Don’t save your factor 30 for the beach!
- Keep skin hydrated during the day by spritzing a refreshing hydrating mist.
- Exfoliate regularly to help prevent blocked pores.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin dewy-looking and fresh.
- Hydrate your lips by regularly applying a lip balm.
What I use: I always use natural, plant-based organic products that nourish my skin no matter the season. I tend to go for light hydrating lotions in the summer because my skin gets dry from the sun, yet oily from the heat. I’m currently using Sanoflore Rosa Angelica Moisturizer. I use lip balm year round, but I switch to a lighter and more refreshing one during the summer.
- Book an appointment to get any dry or split ends trimmed before the summer.
- Try to avoid dying your hair right before your holidays, as strong sunlight can damage your hair color (unless “hint of green” was the shade you were going for!).
- In strong sunlight, use sun protection on your hair as well as your body (check out this organic SPF 30 hair mist HERE).
- Nourish your hair with a hydrating/color-protecting masque once a week, and use a hydrating de-frizzing mist between washes.
- Dry shampoo comes in handy between washes to extend the volume of your hair.
- Let your hair air dry whenever possible to reduce heat-styling damage.
What I use: My all-time favorite organic cosmetic brand is John Masters Organics. I particularly love their Evening Primrose shampoo and the Lavender & Avocado conditioner. I’m also addicted to their Green Tea & Calendula Conditioning Mist, but it seems to be out of production now.
- As with your facial skincare, ditch heavy cream moisturizers and cleansers and switch to lighter lotions and oils.
- Use sun protection on exposed skin at all times.
- Exfoliate regularly – this will help your natural tan to last longer and provide a good base for fake tan products.
- End your shower with a blast of cold water! This helps to combat cellulite and keeps your skin looking firm (a swim in the sea works too – just be sure to thoroughly rinse off the saltwater afterwards).
- Create - and stick to - a strict body hair removal regime. Opt for longer lasting solutions (wax, laser, etc.) that don’t damage or irritate your skin
- Make sure your mani & pedi is always well-maintained! It seems like a tiny little detail, but it can make a huge difference to your look and the way you feel about yourself.
What I use: I usually use Weleda products for my bodycare routine, and always have my man-pedi done with a gel nail polish as it lasts much longer (especially on vacation!).
- Change any heavy foundations for a lighter BB or CC cream. Go for a slightly darker shade than you do in the winter, as your face will get tanned during summer months. If your skin tends to get oily or shiny, have a loose, tinted powder on hand.
- If you’re already tanned, all you should need for your base is a natural looking concealer to correct any blemishes.
- Save the dark and dramatic makeup looks for winter, and go with a dewy and glowy face using earthy, bronzed tones. Opt for multifunctional products that you can use as bronzer, eyeshadow and even lip tint!
- Switch your blush to a bronzer for a natural sun-kissed look.
- Accentuate your lips. This is the season for bold and bright colors!
What I use: My favorite basics are RMS Beauty “Un” Cover-Up foundation/concealer and “Un” Powder loose tinted powder (both 100% natural). In summer, for everyday, I use a natural bronze eyeshadow, bronzer (currently both Younique) and mascara (currently Benefit Roller Lash, as natural mascaras tend to smudge too much in summer).
Want to look and feel your very best every single day of the year, no matter the season or occasion? Then get your very own copy of my Ultimate Chic Sheet. A gorgeous download full of my insider style tips and advice.
Grab yours here:
Veronika Nemeth is a Style Coach & Image Consultant, based in Milan, Italy. She works with ambitious businesswomen and female entrepreneurs who have a desire to create a unique & authentic image that enhances both their professional & personal lives.
Veronika’s mission is to empower women to build wildly successful businesses & lives by creating a confident, authentic & stylish personal brand.
Do you want to upgrade your style and your life?
Download my free style guide and be ready to get visible!
Get my style tips & news straight into your inbox!
Are you ready to invest in yourself?
Book your complimentary Image Evaluation with me now - I can’t wait to speak with you!