How you dress affects how you feel – and you can’t persuade me otherwise.
We all know how much better we feel when we’re tired, or a little bit sick, and then we pull on our favorite outfit, apply some lipstick - all of a sudden we’re good to go.
And vice versa – you’re never going to feel great about yourself slobbing around the house in dirty, stretched out “comfy” clothes.
My blog, Find Your Style – Find Your Power, looks at this concept in more detail.
For the work-from-home entrepreneur, it’s really important to keep an eye on how you’re dressing and not to let yourself slip into bad habits.
You know the ones… Jumping on to your laptop in your pyjamas as soon as you get out of bed – only to find yourself still sitting there in your dressing gown at lunchtime; going to yoga or the gym and then somehow not getting around to showering and changing into clean clothes.
Whether your habits are lazy or borderline gross (hey – no judgements, we’ve all been there!), the fact is, if you want to level up in your business or life in general, you need to keep them in check.
Read on to get my “upgrade your style, upgrade your business” tips for the work-from-home entrepreneur.
Work-from-home style guide
- Create a morning/evening routine that differentiates your casual/free time from your “work” time. It’s fine to have breakfast in your pyjamas but make sure you get changed into your “work clothes” as soon as you fire up that laptop.
- Make it fun for yourself to dress up. If you are a full-time entrepreneur, yet still working from your “kitchen table”, act “as if” you are already a 6-figure business owner, and dress like you mean it. Forget the fact that no one is going to see you – you can “see” you - just put on your favorite outfit and wait for the magic to unfold.
- Plan out your weekly wardrobe ahead of time (on Sundays, for example), and write down your intentions in your planner. So for example, if you know that you have three client calls or online meetings on Wednesday, then choose an outfit that looks good on camera.
- Consider online meetings as you would in-person meetings, and dress accordingly. Your clients will make their opinion of you (and your business) simply based on their first impression. If you turn up to an online sales meeting with messy, greasy hair, no makeup, and in sweatpants, then don't expect your client to believe that you’ll go out of your way to serve them when you don’t seem bothered to even look after yourself. (Keep an eye out for my upcoming blog on this!)
- On admin (no client) days, go for fun and comfy items (but NOT yoga pants and hoodies) that make you feel pretty, yet aren’t too dressy. I always love an inspiring slogan top and skinny plain color “tracksuit” that’s different than what I wear during my “down time” at home. I never use the worn-out, over washed clothes that I reserve for cleaning and cooking in. Instead, I go for chic, grown-up loungewear that makes me feel like a woman, and that I’d happily wear outside of the house.
- Always dress up for business-related calls! Put on some makeup (mascara and lipstick/lip gloss is a must), a flattering top and some jewelry. Don’t be afraid to wear nice shoes (especially high heels) during the call; you'll be surprised how much more confident this will make you feel!
- Consider that as you work for yourself, this means that you can set your own dress code! However, don’t interpret this as being able to just wear whatever you want! You don’t spend your day watching Netflix and sleeping on the sofa just because no one is watching, so the same needs to go for your outfits. Decide on your own company’s dress code and stick to it!
- You might need to refresh your work-from-home wardrobe a little bit to avoid feeling like you’re just home relaxing, but consider it an investment in yourself and your business.
- Take advantage of the fact that you don’t have to get up early just to “put yourself together” for the office and commute, by using this time instead for some self-care. Do a short yoga practise, take a bubble bath on a cold winter morning, do some journaling, or indulge yourself with some organic beauty products.
- Create a pretty and stylish environment for yourself: decorate your desk, put some flowers in a vase, light a candle, hang some inspiring pictures on the wall (not forgetting your vision board, and create a sacred working space for yourself that makes you feel as if you are “in the office”.
As a Style Coach and Image Consultant, I have to practise what I preach! So, here’s a brief overview of my everyday working style…
- I like to get up and have breakfast while catching up on emails etc. wearing sweatpants and a hoodie (I rarely stay in my pyjamas after getting up!).
- I usually decide on my outfit for the day based on my schedule. If I have in-person client meetings, I tend to be more elegant. I like to wear dark jeans, a pretty top and a blazer in cooler months, and dresses in warmer months.
- During the week, I maintain the same beauty routine whether I’m leaving the house or not; whereas on the weekends if I’m staying in, I might just take a break.
- As for shoes, it’s flats for shopping days, heels for business meetings or nights out.
- Online meetings are smart casual, with a nice top in a flattering color, bright jewelry/accessories, and makeup (concealer, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss) is a must!
- I keep my outfits on “no meeting” days easygoing and casual (but still within my above guidelines!)
- I treat Facebook lives just as I do in-person client meetings.
Do you want an image that makes an impact? A personal brand that helps you to build the business of your dreams?
Well, I’m currently working on a very special product which will be easily accessible to anyone on their entrepreneurial journey - from start up to 6-figure CEO.
To be one of the first to hear about this, and of course to get an early bird discount, sign up here...
Veronika Nemeth is a Style Coach & Image Consultant, based in Milan, Italy. She works with ambitious businesswomen and female entrepreneurs who have a desire to create a unique & authentic image that enhances both their professional & personal lives.
Veronika’s mission is to empower women to build wildly successful businesses & lives by creating a confident, authentic & stylish personal brand.
Do you want to upgrade your style and your life?
Download my free style guide and be ready to get visible!
Get my style tips & news straight into your inbox!
Are you ready to invest in yourself?
Book your complimentary Image Evaluation with me now - I can’t wait to speak with you!